Sep 24, 2011

a quick question...

Oh hey, it's me again!  I've been sitting at my kitchen table with my roommates brianstorming what new things to try in the next few weeks... I've been spending the last few months being alternately exhilarated, scared to death, hiding under my covers pretending I'm not an adult, or stepping totally out of my comfort zone in new and odd ways.  It hasn't always been easy, (hence the hiding under the covers) but it has been really interesting.  I won't lie, there have been some tears, but also a triumph or two mixed in.  I'll save the real details for this coming week, but I can say that all this stepping out of my comfort zone business has brought up a million questions about what is scary to me, to other people, and how to beat the fear.  

This leads me to a question for you:

What Scares You?

It could be the scary shadowy guy that's probably outside your window, but that you only remember to be scared of after watching dateline, or it could be failure in general, or heights, or clowns, or not trying hard enough, or someone knowing your actual weight- not what it says on your driver's license…  What is it for you?  What really scares you?



In the mean time, as promised, here are 2 more of my favorite posts from the past.  The first is when Nick and I ended up at the The Museum of Science and Industry.  The second is one of my favorite ways to spend a rainy Sunday.





The Museum of Science 


and Industry… 



(or the day we didn't go 


to the nature museum.)




We started the day in Seattle.
(Not really.)


Nick posed by a train.


We saw a baby chick being born.
(Happy Birthday Chick!)


Nick decided to make a top.


Giant robots put it together.


Still assembling...


Sadly, it didn't pass the quality inspection.


We got bored waiting.


He finally got his Gravitron.


Nick climbed a science-y rock wall.
(I understand the science of gravity, so I did not.)

I saw my second Zach Morris phone in a week.

Nick found a light board.


He did light-y things.


Some of those light-y things.

Even more light-y things.

Then we went in the molecule mirror maze.
(It is unclear what molecules and mirrors have to do with each other.)

We toured the giant plane.

Nick sat in the engine.


I was excited Nick sat in the engine.

Nick found some electricity.
I found a double rainbow.


This guy found me.
(Filleted bodies are everywhere- crazy.)


We saw a light up dress...
and a light up bubble wall.


And I proved you can have fun, even in the gift shop.


I'm giving credit for this one to my friend Jackie. I was at brunch with another friend Nick getting ready to go to the Notebart Nature Museum when I got a text from Jackie:
'You need to go to the Museum of Science & Industry for your blog! It's the best museum! Jan 23rd is the last day for the Jim Henson exhibit!'
Nick and I were sold at Jim Henson, and in the time it took to pay the bill we changed plans and headed to the MSI. I had originally said I was going to try and go to museums that I'd never been to, but with all the changes and new exhibits, it may as well have been a totally new museum to me.




Viv.










































This weekend my friend Mike and I checked out the Vivian Maier exhibit at the Chicago Cultural Center, and then headed to Ear Wax Cafe for brunch.  Per-the-usual, a day exhibit hopping and brunching with Mike is pretty rad.  Enjoy the photos!

p.s. you may remember Mike from our trip here.
p.p.s. check out Mike's art here



*ADDENDUM!  I've decided to add this extra blurb and some comments on these photos.  It just didn't feel right short changing such a great day and so many pretty pictures with something so thrown together, but I was running really late this morning when I posted.  I like hanging out with Mike for a ton of reasons, one being he's so good at so many things, and such a talented artist, I just feel cool tagging along.  Also, his spirit makes me feel like I could do anything and he wouldn't judge, if anything he'd find a way to help me make it cooler.  The V.M. exhibit was super cool.  Maier was a totally unknown photog up until a few years ago, right before she died.  She spent her days as a nanny for wealthy families on the Northshore, all the while capturing and documenting what she saw on the streets of New York and Chicago with her honest and unassuming street photography.  After seeing her work, and a few other exhibits, I tried my hand at snapping some street photos , while Mike prayed I wouldn't crash my car, or embarrass him too much.  Capping the whole thing off with brunch at a place with side-show themed decorations made all of this the perfect way to spend a rainy Sunday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment