Apr 6, 2011

what's new. 13

This week's goal was to volunteer, and while I found somewhere to do that, I haven't yet had the volunteer experience.  So, if you don't mind I'm going to save this one until Saturday afternoon when I get back from spending the morning reading kids books ad doing crafts.  I'll keep you posted on how it went and what I learned.  Also, this way will give you something to look forward too!

ADDENDUM!

You guys I had so much fun this Saturday morning!  My friend Ann and I ended up at a Brenneman Elementary on the Northside working with first graders on their reading and then working on some art.  The kids were hi-larious, they worked really hard and created some awesome art, and did I mention it was suuuuuuper fun?  Over all, I have nothing but good things to say about this whole thing.  The kids took turns reading aloud (with our help), then there was a fun worksheet, and then we made posters and books.  I highly recommend this one for anyone looking for a super easy and fun way to spend 2 hours on a Saturday volunteering.  I'm going back on the 30th, so if you're interested, let me know!

Here are a few other things I learned for the week:

-The Chicago cares website is soooooo easy, you should use it.  Like right now.

-Its is very easy to help, if you do something you're passionate about.

-If you're volunteering with 1st graders, when all else fails, talk about Justin Beiber.

-Really, the idea of finding somewhere to volunteer seemed overwhelming, but so many people need help right now, there are opportunities everywhere.

-I have not gotten as much accomplished on a Saturday as I did after getting back from Brennemann.

-Volunteering is easy, just do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment