Jan 19, 2011

Surgical Sciencessssss.

I'm actually a little bit bummed about this one.  I went to the International Museum of Surgical Sciences with my friend Michael, who is not only a good friend, but also an awesome artist/photographer.  My intention was to see some interesting and creepy things, but even better take pictures with those things, and with Michael, and have a ton of photos to share with you.  However, upon arriving at the IMSS we discovered there were no cameras allowed, and therefore, no dice on the cool photos.*

Right now they are exhibiting Our Body: The Universe Within. Think Body Worlds, with more emphasis on the science of how the body works.  Besides half dissected and posed bodies, you can check out old surgical tools and equipment dating as far back as 2000 BC, and ending in some present day advances we may take for granted.  I'm not going to lie, I don't know what I would have done had I gone by myself.  I found the whole place more than a little macabre, and kept using the word 'crazy' over and over again.  Example: at every new display case or surgical implement I'd say "Mike, (dumbfounded pause) that's craaaaazy."  To be fair, I had the exact same reaction to body worlds.  Something about filleted people, while educational, also gives me the creepers.

 'Our Body' was interspersed throughout the museum with some of the more permanent exhibits displayed by IMSS (an iron lung, one of the first x-ray machines, tons and tons of surgical tools, and even civil war era prosthetics), which offered a good balance between creeping me out and keeping me fascinated.  Overall, I'd go back... I just may wait until the Bodies exhibit closes.

International Museum of Surgical Sciences:
https://www.imss.org/

*Since you didn't get to see any of the cool photos Michael would have taken if it was allowed, check out his art and photos at http://michaelrioux.com/  or to help see his stuff live and in person go to http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1449531347/transistor-photo-project

No comments:

Post a Comment